Open Position: In-House Book Designer for Craft Book Publisher
Martingale is an industry-leading publisher of quilt and craft books by top authors. Since its founding in 1976, our 100% employee-owned company has sold more than 24 million books worldwide, which are distinguished by their carefully edited instructions, detailed illustrations, and beautiful photography.
If you have the experience, skills, and creativity to join our book design team, we want to hear from you. Send your resume, a brief cover letter, and a link to or a pdf of relevant work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write Book Designer in the subject line.
Seeking a full-time, onsite graphic designer for book design and production
- Develop unique, appealing, content-focused designs for book covers and interiors
- Be responsible for all stages of book production—layout book covers and interiors, proof color and corrections, and prepare book files for press—while maintaining a strict adherence to production schedules
- Work collaboratively with the creative team and photographer to develop and style studio and location photography
- Play an active role in design reviews and critiques, keeping current on design trends, and contributing new ideas to the team
- Reports to Design Manager and Content Director
Skills and Qualifications:
- Extensive knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Exceptional visual design and typography skills, and an unlimited supply of fresh ideas
- Experienced in long format, multi-page document design, including working within a grid structure, and advanced text styling.
- Superior communication skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with all members of the design and editorial teams
- Focused attention to detail and process, and a knack for critical problem solving
- Highly organized, able to manage time efficiently, and have the ability to adapt to shifting priorities while meeting both long and short term deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Experience reviewing color proofs and preparing files for press preferred
- Experience developing, directing, and styling photo shoots preferred
- Illustration experience is a plus
4-year degree in graphic design or relevant equivalent professional experience
Minimum 2 to 3 years in four-color book design (or other related multi-page print document design), and production on a Macintosh platform